The Speaker of Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature: Hon SW Lubisi's profile
Hon. Sipho William Lubisi is the Speaker of the Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature. He has held various positions in local government and national government. Between 2007 - 2008, he was elected MEC for Health and Social Services, in 2005 to 2007 he was MEC for Economic Development and Planning, in 2004 - 2005.From 1998 - 2004 he was Speaker of the Provincial Legislature, and for four years, from 1994 - 1998, he was part of the ANC transitional delegation that took the country into its democracy, he served as Member of Parliament (Senator) and Whip for the ANC.
Hon SW Lubisi has had extensive political and parliamentary development exposure. He has contributed towards numerous local government development initiatives. During his tenure as Health MEC, he was recognized for turning around the Mpumalanga Health Department, and ensuring effective health-care service delivery in the Province. In 2008, under his leadership, the Mpumalanga Department of health and social services launched more than 100 new ambulances as part of efforts to turn around the Province's Emergency Medical Services. Throughout the various leadership positions he has held, he has managed to introduce strategic ways of addressing efficiency and delivery challenges, ensuring that the various Departments and institutions he has led, meet their development agenda.
The Speaker has been very influential in driving skills development and recruitment at local government level, introducing technologically advanced equipment where required and ensuring the use of innovative facilities to address socio-development challenges in various government departments in Mpumalanga. He is the President Elect, (Branch) of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) Africa Region.
Constitutional mandate of the Speaker:
- The Speaker gives political direction
- Speaker enforces the observance of all rules for preserving order in parliamentary proceedings
- The Speaker advises Members of all Parties, who consult him/her, on actions they propose taking in the House or upon any questions of order that are likely to arise in proceedings.
- The Speaker interprets rules and regulations governing the allowances and other benefits of office determined for Members by the Head of State
- The Speaker authorizes the requisitioning of and controls all the facilities and services provided for Members in the building complex which houses the Members of the Provincial Legislature concerned;
- The Speaker exercises control over the expenditure and the appropriation of moneys for the services of the Legislature concerned and have to make administrative decisions as are necessary for the proper servicing and functioning of the Legislature.
- The Speaker exercises the function of Treasury
Office of the Speaker
The purpose of this office is to provide political leadership to ensure effective and efficient functioning of the Legislature in fulfilling its legislative and constitutional mandate. This programme deals with the administrative staff who provide support to the Speakership in executing its political and strategic management and leadership functions.
Chief of Staff
The purpose of this sub-programme is to provide effective support to the Executive Authority and ensure that the strategic and financial functions of the division and of the institution are effectively executed.
The purpose of this sub-programme is to support the exercise of the Treasury function of the Legislature and to oversee the implementation of financial prescripts and also, to advise the Speaker and the Secretary to the Legislature on Treasury matters.
The purpose of this sub-programme is to provide professional advice and secretariat services to the Speakership in executing political and constitutional responsibilities.
Members Affairs and Political Parties
The purpose of the sub-programme is to provide professional, management and administrative support services on the remuneration, benefits and facilities of Members of the Legislature.
Protocol and International Relations
The purpose of the sub-programme is to provide protocol services to the Legislature and strengthen international relations.